About the course:
Economics is a part of the social sciences wherein you would study the means of production, distribution, about consumption of goods and services. Economics is not limited to the study of business, finance, government policies, but extends to family, health, crime, law, politics, religion, war and science. As an economist you would be required to research and study the relationship between demand and supply, business trends, tax system, inflation and monetary depression and exchange rates to understand trends and formulate calculated predictions. In fact, several economists go on to become politicians and civil servants because of the holistic understanding that this field provides of how a nation and a state functions.
For entrance in bachelor’s college degree, the applicant will need to have passed their senior secondary examination in commerce stream with subjects like maths, economics, and financial records.
The eligibility requirement to pursue master’s degree would require a bachelor’s degree with commerce.
While applying for bachelor’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Important documents from school including mark-sheets of high school and senior secondary school, transfer certificate, and migration certificate.
- In case if it is relevant, you may also want to keep ready caste certificates attested by a competent authority.
While applying for master’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Original/Provisional marksheet from bachelor’s degree
- Migration certificate
Some of the subjects that you may study while pursuing a degree in economics may include the following:
- Comparative Economic Systems
- Money and Banking Systems
- Quantitative Analytical Methods
- Political Economics
- Laws of Production
The fee for the bachelor’s and master’s courses may vary from 5,000/- per month to 50,000/- per month depending upon the college you may choose to take admission in.
You may apply to the following scholarships to avail concessions while pursuing a degree in economics:
- FAEA Scholarships to pursue undergraduate studies in arts/commerce/science/medical/engineering and other technical and professional disciplines at any university/institution/college in India
- Central Sector Scheme Scholarship for Class 12 passed students of Science, Commerce & Arts subjects
- JM Sethia Merit Scholarship Scheme
- Nirankari Rajmata Scholarship Scheme
The duration of the bachelor’s course may extend upto three years and the duration of the masters’ course may extend upto two years.
You may find lucrative job offers as an economist at the following designations:
- Money Manager
- Personal Finance Consultant
- Civil Servant
- Government Consultant
- Investment Analyst
- Sales Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Investments Analyst
- Market Analyst
- Investment Banker
- Corporate Analyst
- Marketing Manager
- Business Analyst
- Operations Manager
- Securities Analyst