About the course:
Studying statistics may sound harrowing given the role of humongous numbers in extracting data. However, fundamentally, you would be required to simply collect data, organize and analyze it, and deliver an interpretation. The extracted information is then used to influence a wide range of sectors like pharmaceuticals, advertising, insurance, and politics. The necessary skills to study statistics would be to have an eye for detail and to be analytical. You would also be required to take keen interest in other subjects like accounting, economics, sociology, and finance because of the numerous fields statistics is necessary. You would also be required to have sound knowledge of computer softwares used in the study of statistics.
For entrance in bachelor’s college degree, the applicant will need to have passed their senior secondary examination in commerce stream with subjects like maths, economics, and financial records.
The eligibility requirement to pursue master’s degree would require a bachelor’s degree with commerce.
While applying for bachelor’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Important documents from school including mark-sheets of high school and senior secondary school, transfer certificate, and migration certificate.
- In case if it is relevant, you may also want to keep ready caste certificates attested by a competent authority.
While applying for master’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Original/Provisional marksheet from bachelor’s degree
- Migration certificate
Some of the sub-subjects that you may study while pursuing a degree in statistics may include the following:
- Statistical methods
- Likelihood and Regression Modelling
- Experimental design
- Computational Inference
- Sampling and Databases
- Environmental Statistics
- Financial Statistics
- Forensic Statistics
- Medical Statistics
- Operational Research
- Predictive Analytics
- Statistical Computing
The fee for the bachelor’s and master’s courses may vary from 15,000/- per month to 50,000/- per month depending upon the college you take admission.
You may apply to the following scholarships to avail concessions while pursuing a degree in statistics:
- FAEA Scholarships to pursue undergraduate studies in arts/commerce/science/medical/engineering and other technical and professional disciplines at any university/institution/college in India
- Central Sector Scheme Scholarship for Class 12 passed students of Science, Commerce & Arts subjects
- JM Sethia Merit Scholarship Scheme
- Nirankari Rajmata Scholarship Scheme
The duration of the bachelor’s course may extend upto three years and the duration of the masters’ course may extend upto two years.
You may find lucrative job offers with a degree in statistics in the following sectors:
- Actuarial Science
- Data Analysis
- Environmental Science
- Market Research
- Medicine and Healthcare