About the course:
Architecture is a blend of art, science and technology. The subject weaves in several other disciplines to chart out its boundary and ground. You will need to understand elements from mathematics, engineering, technology, culture, and sociology. Studying architecture will help you understand the engineering and design of structures and buildings. This field will suit you if you have artistic ability and mathematical proficiency.
Post your degree in architecture, as an architect, you will be responsible for designing and constructing safe and reliable structures. You will also be involved in budgeting, handling financial accounts, ensuring compliance with health and safety regulations on site, negotiating with contractors, and preparing specifications for materials and workforce. You will have to keep in mind that the buildings you design and plan are durable and aesthetic.
For entrance in bachelor’s college degree, the applicant will need to have passed their senior secondary examination in commerce stream with subjects like maths, economics, and financial records.
The eligibility requirement to pursue master’s degree would require a bachelor’s degree with commerce.
While applying for bachelor’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Important documents from school including mark-sheets of high school and senior secondary school, transfer certificate, and migration certificate.
- In case if it is relevant, you may also want to keep ready caste certificates attested by a competent authority.
While applying for master’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Original/Provisional marksheet from bachelor’s degree
- Migration certificate
Some of the sub-subjects that you may study while pursuing a degree in architecture may include the following:
- Architectural engineering
- Architectural technology
- Architectural design
- Architectural history
- Interior architecture
- Landscape architecture
- Urban Planning
The fee for the bachelor’s and master’s courses may vary from 15,000/- per month to 50,000/- per month depending upon the college you take admission.
You may apply to the following scholarships to avail concessions while pursuing a degree in architecture:
- FAEA Scholarships to pursue undergraduate studies in arts/commerce/science/medical/engineering and other technical and professional disciplines at any university/institution/college in India
- Central Sector Scheme Scholarship for Class 12 passed students of Science, Commerce & Arts subjects
- JM Sethia Merit Scholarship Scheme
- Nirankari Rajmata Scholarship Scheme
The duration of the bachelor’s course may extend upto three years and the duration of the masters’ course may extend upto two years.
You may find lucrative job offers as an architect in the following sectors:
- Spatial design
- Graphic design
- Set design for stage and film
- Building surveying
- Housing policy and planning
- Construction, and conservation