About the course:
Environment Studies is an important field of study, especially in the recent times, given the ever increasing number of issues that are affecting the environment harmfully. Environment Studies concerns itself with the relationship between people and the environment. Just like everything that happens in nature like hurricanes, hail storms, and earthquakes affects us, our actions also affect nature in return. The rise in population, depletion of resources, deforestation, damming of rivers, pollution has left a significant negative impact on the environment and its health, as well as our society.
Environment studies is different from environment science where the latter focuses on the scientific components of environment issues. Environment studies is an interdisciplinary subject that uses the knowledge base of several disciplines, such as, sociology, ecology, economics. This course is an interplay of the social, legal, management, and scientific aspects of environment issues. In this course, you will study the causes, effects, and potential solutions to the environment problems.
For entrance in bachelor’s college degree, the applicant will need to have passed their senior secondary examination in commerce stream with subjects like maths, economics, and financial records.
The eligibility requirement to pursue master’s degree would require a bachelor’s degree with commerce.
While applying for bachelor’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Important documents from school including mark-sheets of high school and senior secondary school, transfer certificate, and migration certificate.
- In case if it is relevant, you may also want to keep ready caste certificates attested by a competent authority.
While applying for master’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Original/Provisional marksheet from bachelor’s degree
- Migration certificate
Some of the sub-subjects that you may study while pursuing a degree in environment studies may include the following:
- Environmental Biology
- Environmental Earth Science
- Environmental Policy
- Environmental Studies Minor
- Environmental Economics
- Sustainable Agricultural Management
- Environmental Archaeology
- Politics of Development
The fee for the bachelor’s and master’s courses may vary from 15,000/- per month to 50,000/- per month depending upon the college you take admission.
You may apply to the following scholarships to avail concessions while pursuing a degree in environment studies:
- FAEA Scholarships to pursue undergraduate studies in arts/commerce/science/medical/engineering and other technical and professional disciplines at any university/institution/college in India
- Central Sector Scheme Scholarship for Class 12 passed students of Science, Commerce & Arts subjects
- JM Sethia Merit Scholarship Scheme
- Nirankari Rajmata Scholarship Scheme
The duration of the bachelor’s course may extend upto three years and the duration of the masters’ course may extend upto two years.
You may find lucrative job offers as an environment studies at the following designations:
- Environmental Consultant
- Environmental Scientist
- Environmental Educator
- Public Relations Specialist
- Environmental Attorney
- Environmental Engineer
- Sustainability Specialist Analyst