About the course:
Biotechnology is the study of genetic, chemical and physical attributes of cells, tissues and organisms and identifies practical uses for this knowledge to aid medical, pharmaceutical, agricultural, or environmental advancement to improve the quality of human life fundamentally.
Biotechnology allows students to specialise in the following fields:
- Biochemistry – microbiology, forensics, plant science and medicine
- Cancer studies – detection and treatment
- Genetics – detecting heredity, genetic variation and DNA repair
- Molecular biology – DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis function
- Microbial sciences – antibiotic-resistant bacteria and improving fermentation
- Pharmacology – drug action on biological systems
- Stem cell research – modification and regenerative medicine
- Virology – viruses and viral diseases.
10+2 science stream graduates can opt for a B.Tech (Biotechnology) or an integrated M. Tech (Biotechnology); science stream graduates from any field (engineering, medicine etc.) can choose for an M. Tech (Biotechnology).
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PWD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University is required from those students who have passed the senior secondary exam from outside Delhi.
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
Enrolling in this course will expose you to the following:
- Biophysical Chemistry
- Cell Biology and Genetics
- Bioenergetics and Biomembranes
- Animal and Plant Physiology
- Biostatistics and Computer
- India: 80,000/- to 2,00,000/- per year
- Abroad: $40,000 to $60,000
- Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) Scheme – Applications Open https://www.biotecnika.org/2018/02/prime-ministers-research-fellowship-pmrf-scheme/
- Arturo Falaschi ICGEB PhD Fellowship Programmes (Life Sciences) https://www.biotecnika.org/2018/01/arturo-falaschi-icgeb-phd-fellowship-programmes-life-sciences/
The undergraduate course is of three years duration and the postgraduate course is of two years.
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
You may find a suitable career in any of the following fields:
- Forensic DNA Analyst
- Clinical Research Associate
- Animal Caretaker
- Production Engineer
- Greenhouse and Field Technician
- Bioinformatics Specialist