About the course:
If you have love for animals and creatures other than humans, a course in veterinary is made just for you. As a vet, you would be responsible for the health and wellbeing of animals that would come to you for treatment and check-ups. Your job would range from preventative care to psychological analysis and complex surgical procedures. A degree in veterinary would cover various disciplines like Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Anatomy and Physiology. You would study about anatomy, animal behavior, husbandry, cell biology, nutrition, physiology, genetics, epidemiology, pharmacology, infectious diseases, pathology, and parasitology. Some of the skills to ace in this field that you would require includes communication skills, law and ethics, and business management among others.
For entrance in bachelor’s college degree, the applicant will need to have passed their senior secondary examination in commerce stream with subjects like maths, economics, and financial records.
The eligibility requirement to pursue master’s degree would require a bachelor’s degree with commerce.
While applying for bachelor’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Important documents from school including mark-sheets of high school and senior secondary school, transfer certificate, and migration certificate.
- In case if it is relevant, you may also want to keep ready caste certificates attested by a competent authority.
While applying for master’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Original/Provisional marksheet from bachelor’s degree
- Migration certificate
Some of the sub-subjects that you may study while pursuing a degree in veterinary may include the following:
- Veterinary science
- Veterinary business and management
- Veterinary education
- Animal parasite biology
- Livestock and companion animal diseases
- Molecular virology
- Genetics of microorganisms
- Microbial-host interactions
The fee for the bachelor’s and master’s courses may vary from 15,000/- per month to 50,000/- per month depending upon the college you take admission.
You may apply to the following scholarships to avail concessions while pursuing a degree in veterinary:
- FAEA Scholarships to pursue undergraduate studies in arts/commerce/science/medical/engineering and other technical and professional disciplines at any university/institution/college in India
- Central Sector Scheme Scholarship for Class 12 passed students of Science, Commerce & Arts subjects
- JM Sethia Merit Scholarship Scheme
- Nirankari Rajmata Scholarship Scheme
The duration of the bachelor’s course may extend upto three years and the duration of the masters’ course may extend upto two years.
You may find lucrative job offers as a vet in the following sectors:
- Pet pharmaceuticals
- Animal welfare organization
- Pet food development
- Livestock product management
- Animal biotechnologist
- Animal product development
- Veterinary genetic research
- Cell culture specialization