About the course:
Oral health is the prime focus for a dentist. You will study the following facets of oral cavity:
- Treatment of diseases and disorders
As an aspiring dentist, you can choose to work in the fields of:
You could choose to work from your clinic, be a visiting doctor at residences or you may also choose to be a social worker providing free dental check-ups and services in poverty-stricken areas.
- For admission in Indian Universities, the candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree with 45% marks (or equivalent grades) from a recognized university in any discipline.
- While applying to foreign universities as an international student whose native language is not English or whose undergraduate degree is from an institution in a country whose official language is not English, must submit scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS.
- While applying in foreign Universities, you shall be required to give a Statement of Purpose mentioning why you want to join this course and why you must be chosen for the same. In this highly competitive time, your SoP must be of high-class quality with impeccable English.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University are required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi.
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
You will find the following courses as part of your curriculum depending upon the choice of your college and the field of interest:
- Human Physiology
- Dental Pharmacology
- Clinical Cariology
- Dental Therapy
- Dental Hygiene
- India: Over a lakh to three lakh
- Abroad: $30,000 to $60,000
Following are some of the scholarships you can apply to to aid your education:
- University of Otago:
- University of Sydney:
- Penn Dental Medicine:
- American Student Dental Association:
- University of California, San Francisco, School of Dentistry:
- University of Kentucky, College Of dEntistry:
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine:
Undergraduate: Three to five years
Post-graduate: Two to three years
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
Depending upon your interest, you can choose from the following career options:
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Dental Hygienist
- Paediatric dentistry
- Restorative dentistry
- Healthcare scientist
- Medical physics
- Biomedical scientist
- Psychological wellbeing practitioner
- Forensic psychologist
- Healthcare scientist, clinical biochemistry