About the course:
Metallurgy is a branch of science and technology that concerns itself with the properties of metals, their production and purification. The subject involves study and investigation of:
- chemical and physical properties of metallic elements
- compounds and alloys
Metallurgy degree may also cover:
- metal-related technologies like:
- extraction methods
- use in industry and engineering
- metalworking processes such as:
The course aims at inculcating following traits in the students:
- production management
- quality control
- For admission in Indian Universities, the candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree with 45% marks (or equivalent grades) from a recognised university in any discipline.
- While applying to foreign universities as an international students whose native language is not English or whose undergraduate degree is from an institution in a country whose official language is not English, must submit scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS.
- While applying in foreign Universities, you shall be required to give a Statement of Purpose mentioning why you want to join this course and why you must be chosen for the same. In this highly competitive time, your SoP must be of high-class quality with impeccable English.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University are required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi.
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
Metallurgy can be divided into:
- Engineering and process
Metallurgy course structure may include:
- Tensile Testing
- Hardness Testing
- Principles of metallurgy
- Corrosion of Metals
- Courses revolving around steel
- Aluminium Metallurgy
India: It may extend from 25,000/- up to 60,000/-
Abroad: It may range from $24,000 to $50,000.
- The University of Utah, Department of Metallurgical Engineering:
- Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration Inc. (SME):
- Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum:
- University of Nevada, Reno, Mining and Metallurgical Engineering:
- Montana Tech , Metallurgical and Materials:
The course may be of three to four years’ duration depending upon the choice of specialization and college.
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
You can explore the following job prospects:
- Welding Engineer
- Plant Equipment Engineer
- Ballistics Engineer
- Quality Planning Engineer
- Senior Process Engineer
- Metallurgical R&D Lab Technician
- Supplier Development Engineer