About the course:
About the course:
A degree in journalism allows you to sharpen your skills at collecting and analysing news and information.
The various means to spread news and information to people across the world are via
- Print Media
- Supplementary newspapers
- Visual Media
- News channels
- Audio Media
- Online Mediums
- Online blogs
- Online news websites
- Social Media forums and pages
The course aims at providing with practical and technical skills, and hands-on experience about the news industry. You are prepared to work with news agencies or channels and are imbibed with ethics of journalism, which is a prerequisite for any news agent.
Why this course:
This course is for you if:
- you are passionate about going to the root of a news
- you are keen to meet and talk to people
- you are good at extracting details from people about people or an event
- you are investigative and of a questioning mind
- you are keen and comfortable to face the camera, interview people, organise panel, discussions as a moderator
- you have excellent command over at least one language and can express yourself well either via writing or speaking or both
- you are interested in everything.
A minimum percentage in the last qualifying examination at senior-secondary (class XII) level
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University are required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
As students of journalism will confess to, this course is as broad as scope of knowledge can be. As students of Journalism, you will be expected to have an open mind keenly interested in all forms of knowledge and to also be able to filter what is immediately relevant for you.
The courses in journalism may be divided into the following sub-categories:
- Online Journalism
- Cyber Journalism
- Radio and TV Journalism
- Development Journalism
- Fee can range anywhere from 15,000/- to a lakh per year in India.
- In foreign Universities, fee may range from $700 to $1200 per year, or more.
Financial constraints should not keep you from chasing your dreams. You can apply for scholarships and loan under various programs in each University. Some links for the same are as follows:
- MA Multimedia Journalism Scholarships at University of Kent in UK: https://www.kent.ac.uk/scholarships/postgraduate/departmental/journalism.html
- IMMJ Scholarship Applications Open for :http://www.immj-ma.org/2016/06/22/immj-scholarship-applications-open-for-2016-17/
- Reham al-Farra International Scholarship in Journalism: https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/fees-funding/scholarships/international-student-scholarships/reham-al-farra-international-scholarship-journalism
- Berkbeck , University of Londom:http://www.bbk.ac.uk/prospective/international/fees/fees
- Delhi University:http://www.du.ac.in/du/index.php?page=opportunities-scholarship
The bachelor’s course extends to a minimum of three years. A master’s degree in journalism may take one year to two years.
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
Journalism is a hot cake as circulation of news will always be in demand.
You can find placements with companies like:
- Al Jazeera
Or, with magazines like:
- India Today
- Business Today
After completion of your degree, you can work as a:
- Live reporter
- Newspaper columnist
- Newspaper editor (after some years of experience)
- Member of backstage crew
- Social Media blogger
- Freelance writer
- Content writer
You can also explore the field of:
- Public Relations
- International Relations
- Administrative Services