DEVELOPMENT STUDIES DEGREES
Basic course description:
About the course:
As the name suggests, this course aims at studying and understanding development theories and to practice them to eradicate unhealthy and poor living standards. This is an inter-disciplinary programme built on principles of courses like Sociology, Political Science and Economics. This course mainly keeps its focus on developing societies and to develop skills in debating policies and strategizing different sectors of society to sensitise oneself and the people towards issues of discrimination and marginalisation.
This course will provide you with a strong foundation to engage with several dimensions of development policy. You will also practice the economic, political and social policies. The course also covers the contemporary relevance of research to development policy and practice.
- For admission in Indian Universities, the candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree with 45% marks (or equivalent grades) from a recognised university in any discipline.
- Applicant with undergraduate degree in any subject shall be considered. However those with a background in social science or humanities subject would have an advantage.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University are required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
While applying in foreign Universities, you shall be required to give a Statement of Purpose mentioning why you want to join this course and why you must be chosen for the same. In this highly competitive time, your SoP must be of high-class quality with impeccable English.
Given the nature of this course, teaching will include classroom discussions, workshops, seminars and field projects. The emphasis of the course will be on helping you develop your research and analytical skills with exposure to social issues and development practices.
Various courses shall contain the following modules:
- Developing research skills both in qualitative and quantitative techniques
- Social science research
- Development: Theory, History and Policy
- In India, fee may start from 20,000/-
- Fee for this course in various foreign Universities may range from $16,000 to anywhere around $25,000.
Among many others, here are a few links:
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries:
- ISS PhD fellowships in Development Studies:
- DAAD Scholarships in Germany for Development-Related Postgraduate Courses:
- University of Bradford Global Development Scholarships:
This course may extend for two years for masters students.
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
- Pursuing further research in development (urban/rural) sector
- Administrative Services
- Research Consultancy Firms