Basic course description:
“Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it,” said Edmund Burke before he died. And if what he had said was not documented, we would never know that negligence of history can be fatal. Hence, the importance of historians. A degree in history does not imply memorising historical events and hundreds and thousands of dates. A degree in History provides you with:
- A critical bent of mind to question what was always served to you as unquestionable facts
- Analysing the impact of particular events on the world and societies
- Skills of historical analysis, historical imagination and interpretive techniques
- Studying artefacts
- Studying social, economic and political trends through history
- Critical understanding of various wars and revolutions
All this is aimed at enabling the student to engage with contemporary social questions.
- In Indian Universities, a minimum percentage or equivalent grade in bachelor’s degree from a recognized university.
- Applicant with undergraduate degree in any subject shall be considered. However, those with a background in History, Political Science, Philosophy, Economics, Literature subject would have an advantage.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University are required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
While applying in foreign Universities, you shall be required to give a Statement of Purpose mentioning why you want to join this course and why you must be chosen for the same. In this highly competitive time, your SoP must be of high-class quality with impeccable English.
Studying history can revolve around the following rubric especially if you study in India. Some, on the other hand, can be country and specialisation specific:
- India’s Economy and Colonial rule
- Kingship in South-Asia
- Oral Epics
- Ancient history
- Modern history
- History of Modern Japan
- Capitalism and Race in South Africa
- Fee in Indian Universities may start from 20,000/-
- In foreign Universities, it may range from $600 to $5,000.
Among many others, here a few links to several scholarships to study History in foreign Universities:
- NPIHP South Africa Nuclear History Fellowship for International Applicants, 2017:
- NSW Government History Fellowship in Australia, 2017:
- Johan Huizinga Postgraduate Fellowship for Historical Research in Netherlands, 2016:
- Eric Hobsbawm Postgraduate Scholarships 2015/16:
- Wellcome Trust Masters Awards for academic session 2016/17:
The course duration extends from three to four years depending upon the college and the University.
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
Careers you can pursue after a degree in History:
- Museum Curator
- Museum Manager
- Archival Management
- Tourism Management
- Heritage Management
- Administrative/Government Services