MEDIA & COMMUNICATION STUDIES
Basic course description:
As the name suggests, this course prepares students for a career in media-related industries and also trains them to critically analyse the ways in which media propagates perceptions, perspectives, and how it contributes in representation and in influencing the world power dynamics. Along with studying and enhancing your skills on filmmaking, copy-writing, you will also work ta analysing media representations of gender, race, caste and class and how such representations thwart biases or are implicated in fostering them.
- For admission in Indian Universities, the candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree with 45% marks (or equivalent grades) from a recognised university in any discipline.
- Applicant with undergraduate degree in any subject shall be considered. However those with a background in social science or humanities subject would have an advantage.
- You may also have to go through entrance test and interview –screening process where you language skills, general awareness, motivations behind joining the course may be tested.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University are required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
While applying in foreign Universities, you shall be required to give a Statement of Purpose mentioning why you want to join this course and why you must be chosen for the same. In this highly competitive time, your SoP must be of high-class quality with impeccable English.
To help you gain experience across a wide spectrum of media studies, the course may be structured as a combination of lectures, seminars, screenings. You are also likely to undergo various practical activities and assessments, one-to-one supervision to upbeat you with latest trends and work on your own personality to enhance how you approach the course. The course may consist of following branches:
- TV broadcasting
- Social media
- Communications and new media
- Film studies
- Media Studies
Fee may range from two to four lack for the course in India, which may range from $18,000 and above in foreign universities.
Creative Award for International Students in Malaysia, 2017:
Swinburne International Excellence Scholarship for Postgraduate Students in Australia, 2017:
Cullen International Abigail Browne Fellowship in Belgium, 2016:
- University of Utah, Communication Department:
The course may stretch up to one to three years.
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
Television and film production careers
- TV reporter or presenter
- Documentary producer
- Film director
- Film distribution
- Broadcast engineering
- Sound and special effects
- Camera operation
Public relations (PR)