Basic course description:
We are all political beings. It is an inseparable part of our life. Politics affects us as rain does a parched land – for good or for bad. A degree in political science will help you locate your position in the heated political ground. You will read about political conflicts over time, different mechanism of government, various concepts like freedom, human rights, migration, emigration, and ideologies such asliberalism, communism, and anarchism.You will read work of various influential figures like, Dr. B R Ambedkar, Karl Marx, Plato, and Confucius. An additional understanding of geography, sociology, philosophy, economics, will help you deepen your understanding of this subject, history.
- For admission in Indian Universities, the candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree with 45% marks (or equivalent grades) from a recognised university in any discipline.
- Applicant with undergraduate degree in any subject shall be considered. However those with a background in social science or humanities subject would have an advantage.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University are required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
While applying in foreign Universities, you shall be required to give a Statement of Purpose mentioning why you want to join this course and why you must be chosen for the same. In this highly competitive time, your SoP must be of high-class quality with impeccable English.
As a part of the curriculum and assessment, you may be required to write analytical, critical, responsive essays. Some colleges also have provision of dissertation writing as an assessment tool to gauge whether to award a degree in history or not. Dissertations are often written at Master’s level.
Several topics you may read about are as follows, especially in Indian context:
- Power, Culture and Marginality
- Problems of Historical Knowledge
- South Asian History
- Development politics
- Democracy and elections
- International politics
- Peace and conflict studies
- Public policy
- Global Environmental History
- In India: The fee may range from 2,000/- to 25,000/- per year.
- Outside India: The fee may range from $60,000 to $90,000 per year.
- Department of Political Science, University of Kentucky:
- University of Oregon, Department of Political Science:
Bachelor’s course in history often extends for three years whereas Master’s degree can extend for two years.
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
Careers you can explore after a degree in political science:
- Career in Diplomacy
- Civil Service
- Political Journalism
- Political assistant/advisor