CREATIVE WRITING DEGREE
About the course:
A course in creative writing will largely be workshop-centric where your written piece will be intensively reviewed by your mentor and the peers. A course in creative writing will be helpful for you if are an aspirational writer looking for skills and techniques to inculcate discipline in your lifestyle, to teach yourself to write regularly under pressure of a deadline. The course can be helpful to give you an inside view of what it may possibly mean to be a professional writer and what you could and must abide by to pursue this (offbeat) career of a writer.
- For admission in Indian Universities, the candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree with 45% marks (or equivalent grades) from a recognized university in any discipline.
- While applying to foreign universities as an international student whose native language is not English or whose undergraduate degree is from an institution in a country whose official language is not English, must submit scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS.
- While applying in foreign Universities, you shall be required to give a Statement of Purpose mentioning why you want to join this course and why you must be chosen for the same. In this highly competitive time, your SoP must be of high-class quality with impeccable English.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University is required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi.
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
The course is structured as a practice-oriented course made-up of:
- Workshop classes (teaching you to write using creative writing cues and prompts)
- Lectures/conferences pertaining writers and writing
- Critical cultural studies
Some colleges also demand a body of work by the end of the course which may include a novella, a novel, a collection of short stories or poems, or a critical dissertation about your process of writing.
- India: 30,000/- to 50,000/- per year
- Abroad: $15,000 to $35,000
- University of Birkbeck, School of Arts:
- Kingston University, London:
- University of East Anglia:
- University of Guelph:
- University of Birkbeck, London:
- Scholastic Arts and Writing Awards:
Undergraduate: Three to four years
Post-graduate: One to two years
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
- Advertising copywriter
- Arts administrator
- Digital copywriter
- Editorial assistant
- Magazine journalist
- Newspaper journalist
- Academic librarian
- Information officer
- Marketing executive
- Primary school teacher
- Public relations officer