About the course:
A degree in linguistics will help you understand intricacies and elements of language in a scientific way. You will learn about:
- the abstract noises and shapes which we use to communicate with each other
- the differences between them and what they mean
- the rules which govern them
- how we understand them
In order to understand these facets, various disciplines will come to your aid:
- humanities disciplines will help you analyze differences and relations between languages
- history will help you to map out the evolution of language over time
- philosophy will help you to get grips on the concepts of meaning
- social sciences subjects like psychology and sociology will help you in exploring how we actually put language to its main use of interacting with each other
- For admission in Indian Universities, the candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree with 45% marks (or equivalent grades) from a recognized university in any discipline.
- While applying to foreign universities as an international student whose native language is not English or whose undergraduate degree is from an institution in a country whose official language is not English, must submit scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS.
- While applying in foreign Universities, you shall be required to give a Statement of Purpose mentioning why you want to join this course and why you must be chosen for the same. In this highly competitive time, your SoP must be of high-class quality with impeccable English.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University are required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi.
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
- Historical linguistics
- Discourse analysis
- Computational linguistics
- Language acquisition
- Applied linguistics
- Cognitive sciences
- India: 2000/- to 50,000/- per year
- Abroad: $20,000 to $30,000 per year
- University of Canterbury:
- The University of Utah:
- The University of Melbourne:
- University of London:
Undergraduate: Three to four years
Post-graduate: One to two years
Job prospects, future and industry overview: