About the course:
As a structural engineer, you will design structures to withstand stresses and pressures imposed through environmental conditions and human use. You will ensure that buildings and other structures do not deflect, rotate, vibrate excessively or collapse and that they remain stable and secure throughout their use. You will also examine existing buildings and structures to test if they are structurally sound and still fit for purpose.
Structural engineering allows students to specialise in following fields:
- Bridge and Structural Design
- Dynamics of Structures
- Probability concepts in Civil Engineering
- Experimental Analysis of Structures
- Finite Elements Methods in Framed Structures
- For admission in Indian Universities, the candidate needs to pass their 12th class examination with PCM (Physics-Chemistry- Biology) as the main subject with 50% aggregate marks.
- While applying to foreign universities as an international student whose native language is not English or whose undergraduate degree is from an institution in a country whose official language is not English, must submit scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS.
- While applying to foreign Universities, you shall be required to give a Statement of Purpose mentioning why you want to join this course and why they must choose you for the same. In this highly competitive time, your SoP must be of high-class quality with impeccable English.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PWD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University is required from those students who have passed the senior secondary exam from outside Delhi.
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
Enrolling in this course will ascertain and expose you to the following:
- Planning and Design Process
- Materials and Structural Design Criteria
- Loads and Design Safety
- Design of Structural Elements
- Concrete Elements
- Steel Elements
- Structural Joints
- Approximate Analysis Methods as a Basis for Design
- System Design Concepts
- Special Topics that may be Covered as Part of the Design Project Discussions
- Cable Structures
- Prestressed Concrete Bridges
- Constructability and Structural Control
- Fire Protection
- India: 80,000/- to 2,00,000/- per year
- Abroad: $40,000 to $60,000
- Academic Excellence Award (Bachelors)
- Harvard College Financial Aid- Prospective Students
- SWE Scholarship
Undergraduate: Three to four years
Post-graduate: One to two years
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
- Moving from an engineering consultancy to a construction company
- Working as a self-employed contract engineer
- Setting up your consultancy
- Teaching or research work.