About the course:
A degree in agriculture will open several fields for you including that of farming, agriculture science or horticulture management. This is a field that is governed just as much by theory as much as it is governed by practice and hands-on experience. This course will focus on biological sciences that influence farming and agriculture. Some of the key issues you shall be dealing with as a student of agriculture are poverty, famine, development economics, genetic modification, environmental sustainability, and disease epidemics. You would also be required to have a good grasp on other subjects like natural sciences and social sciences including biology, environmental sciences, chemistry, economics and business and management, natural environments, agricultural production and agricultural science. The scope of the course will broaden out to topics such as bio-based economies, sustainability on a global scale, and global food systems.
For entrance in bachelor’s college degree, the applicant will need to have passed their senior secondary examination in commerce stream with subjects like maths, economics, and financial records.
The eligibility requirement to pursue master’s degree would require a bachelor’s degree with commerce.
While applying for bachelor’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Important documents from school including mark-sheets of high school and senior secondary school, transfer certificate, and migration certificate.
- In case if it is relevant, you may also want to keep ready caste certificates attested by a competent authority.
While applying for master’s degree you shall require the following documents:
- Original/Provisional marksheet from bachelor’s degree
- Migration certificate
Some of the sub-subjects that you may study while pursuing a degree in agriculture may include the following:
- Agricultural Science
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Agriculture Education
- Agricultural Resource Management
- Animal Science
- Soil Science
- Rural Development
- Land Management
The fee for the bachelor’s and master’s courses may vary from 15,000/- per month to 50,000/- per month depending upon the college you take admission.
You may apply to the following scholarships to avail concessions while pursuing a degree in agriculture:
- FAEA Scholarships to pursue undergraduate studies in arts/commerce/science/medical/engineering and other technical and professional disciplines at any university/institution/college in India
- Central Sector Scheme Scholarship for Class 12 passed students of Science, Commerce & Arts subjects
- JM Sethia Merit Scholarship Scheme
- Nirankari Rajmata Scholarship Scheme
The duration of the bachelor’s course may extend upto three years and the duration of the masters’ course may extend upto two years.
You may find lucrative job offers with a degree in agriculture in the following sectors:
- Agricultural and food science technician
- Agricultural consultant
- Farm manager
- Rural practice surveyor
- Plant breeder/geneticist
- Agricultural engineering
- Biosystems engineering
- Genetic engineering