SPEECH THERAPY DEGREE
About the course:
Speech therapy is a specialising degree course. As a speech therapist, also known as speech-language pathologists, you will work on speech disorders such as:
- proper production of speech sounds,
- create fluency or
- rhythm problems, cause
- swallowing problems, or
- affect an individual’s ability to process speech.
You may either work in two two settings depending upon your choice:
- in a clinical setting, but also might work
- in medical facilities, schools, research and development labs, or even clients’ homes.
You may also choose to work on contract-basis.
- For admission in Indian Universities, the candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree with 45% marks (or equivalent grades) from a recognized university in any discipline.
- While applying to foreign universities as an international student whose native language is not English or whose undergraduate degree is from an institution in a country whose official language is not English, must submit scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS.
- While applying in foreign Universities, you shall be required to give a Statement of Purpose mentioning why you want to join this course and why you must be chosen for the same. In this highly competitive time, your SoP must be of high-class quality with impeccable English.
- Depending the college you apply to, you may also require:
- high school diploma
- college entrance exam scores
- placement test scores
- letters of recommendation
- a personal statement
- letters of reference
- scores on the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
- Apart from these qualification you will also need a license to practise
- You will also need the following soft skills and technical knowledge:
- critical thinking skills
- excellent speaking, listening, and writing skills
- knowledge of medical software such as language analysis software, spreadsheet programs.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University are required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi.
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
The course may contain the following sub-categories:
- human anatomy (Auditory and Vocal/Oral)
- speech-language pathology
- India: 20,000/- to over a lakh per year
- Abroad: $50,000 to $125,000 per year
- Speech-Language & Audiology Canada:
- Western Michigan University:
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association:
Undergraduate: Three to four years
Post-graduate: One to two years
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
You can choose to work in the following fields:
- speech and language therapy
- voluntary and charitable organisations
- general practitioner (GP)
- education and social services departments
- higher education (lecturing and research)
- organisations such as residential homes for the elderly or people with learning difficulties