About the course:
History has it that Cesare Beccaria in Italy and Jeremy Bentham in England, each pushed the idea that the punishment of a crime should be so severe that the criminal would decide that the pleasure of the criminal act would not be worth the pain of the punishment. This came to be known as the classical school of criminology. As time went by, several theoreticians and practitioners emphasised the dichotomy between a crime and the criminal, and on whom due emphasis should be placed before punishment is ruled out.
Criminologists today consider several factors including societal, psychological, environmental, biological that contribute to the formation of a criminal. This course will help you specialise in criminal behaviour. As a criminologist, your job will be to recommend policies to governments, courts and police organisation to help in curbing crimes.
- A degree in criminology requires you to have sharp analytical ability to be able to track pattern in crimes and criminals. A bachelor’s or master’s degree in sociology, psychology, biology, anthropology, and genetics will give you an edge once you jump in for criminology.
- Several universities provide with a bachelors and masters degree in criminology. Minimum qualification for bachelors is class XII and for masters, is a minimum percentage in bachelors in any field.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University are required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
In criminology, you will come across following streams among others. You will have a plethora of choices to choose your inclination from:
- Toxicologist (poison detection and identification)
- Forensic document examiner
- Private Detective
- Corporate Fraud Detection
- Quality control expert in food and petroleum products among others
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Forensic Anthropology
- Biosocial Criminology
- Statistics and Economics
- Criminology in Practice
- Cyber Sociology
- Fee in India may range from 20,000/- to 40,000/-
- Fee in colleges abroad may range from $2000 to $30,000.
Following links will be useful to help you sponsor your studies in criminology:
- Griffith University:
- University of Kent:
The duration of the bachelor’s course may range from one year to four years. Masters in Criminology may extend to a year or two years.
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
- Criminal investigations
- Insurance Fraud Investigation & Prevention
- Corporate Fraud Investigation & Prevention
- Law enforcing
- Psychopathology Specialist