About the course:
Geography course is designed as a close reading of the physical features of the earth, its atmosphere, and its impact on human activities for example, how geographical locations influence distribution of population among others. Geography aims at understanding both the natural and the manmade world around us.
- For admission in Indian Universities, the candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree with 45% marks (or equivalent grades) from a recognised university in any discipline.
- Applicant with undergraduate degree in any subject shall be considered. However those with a background in social science or humanities subject would have an advantage.
At the time of admission, you will require the following self-attested documents along with their originals. These documents are especially asked for by Indian Universities:
- Class X Board Examination Certificate
- Class X Marksheet
- Class XII Marksheet
- Class XII Provisional Certificate/Original Certificate
- Character Certificate (recent)
- SC/ST/PwD/CW/KM Certificate (in the name of the candidate) issued by the competent authority
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Candidate) issued by the competent authority
- Transfer Certificate from school/college
- Migration Certificate from Board /University are required from those students who have passed senior secondary exam from outside Delhi
- Self-attested passport-size photographs.
While applying in foreign Universities, you shall be required to give a Statement of Purpose mentioning why you want to join this course and why you must be chosen for the same. In this highly competitive time, your SoP must be of high-class quality with impeccable English.
Often a degree in Geography is divided in two categories:
- Physical geography
This includes, the study of physical processes and natural, understanding the Earth’s physical processes. You will study about the climates and weather systems, about earthquakes and rock formations, the ocean floor. This branch is closely related to Earth Sciences.
- Human geography
This is concerned with human societies and the relations between people and planet. It includes study of human societies – how they operate, develop, and the challenges they face. It also includes concerns such as:
- Population change
- Cultural and religious practices
Teaching methods will include lectures, seminars and field work. The coursework may often involving extended trips to different locations.
- In India: The fee may range from 5,000/- to 20,000/- per year.
- Outside India: The fee may range from $18,000 to $20,000 per year.
- University of Canterbury, Department of Geography:
- Hong Kong Baptist University, Department of Geography:
- Texas State University, Department of Geography:
An undergraduate-level (bachelor’s) geography degree will usually last three or four years, depending on the country of study, while master’s programs take one or two years.
Job prospects, future and industry overview:
- Commercial/residential surveyor
- Environmental consultant
- Geographical information systems officer
- Planning and development surveyor
- Secondary school teacher
- Town planner
- International aid/development worker
- Landscape architect
- Logistics and distribution manager
- Market researcher
- Nature conservation officer
- Tourism officer
- Transport planner